Friday, January 23, 2009

My “master teacher” is a fascist

As a part of my teaching credential program I am assigned to a “master teacher” who is supposed coach me in the art of teaching. I attend this person’s elementary school class every day for 10 weeks to observe and eventually teach. Unfortunately, I have been charged to study under a horrible devil-woman that runs her kindergarten class like a concentration camp.

The children in the classroom are forced to spend the majority of their day sitting on the floor inside of taped off 18” x 18” squares. They are told to face forward with their legs crossed, hands in their laps. They are not supposed to talk or giggle and under no circumstances are they ever to make any type of physical contact with the students sitting in adjacent squares.

Unfortunately since the squares are barely large enough to contain their bodies, boundaries are often crossed. When this happens the teacher scolds the children by saying, “Oh my guh-nessss” (with a hissing sound at the end, like an evil snake-beast). She then takes away their recess.

It’s no wonder she hides the scissors – the suicide rate in her class would be off the charts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you being serious? that's awful...

Ryan Danger Sims said...

Yes, unfortunately this is all true (except for the kids being suicidal, of course). I'm trying my best to add some much needed silliness to the class.

Anonymous said...

that is messed up :(

i don't think she should be in charge of kids...

good thing you're there. i'm sure they love having a cool adult around :)

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)