Monday, May 10, 2010

I've fallen off the wagon

I'm off the Gaga. After hearing Lady Gaga's latest audio-trash entitled "Telephone" on the radio I've changed my mind about her yet again. Although I am the first to admit that her song "Paparazzi" is awesome, "Telephone" makes me want to puke my guts out.  That's right, I said puke my guts out.



On a different note, I found the origin of the phrase "on the wagon/falling off the wagon" at phrases.org.uk:

"During the late 19th century, water carts drawn by horses wet down dusty roads in the summer. At the height of the Prohibition crusade in the 1890s men who vowed to stop drinking would say that they were thirsty indeed but would rather climb aboard the water cart to get a drink than break their pledges. The more alliterative 'wagon' soon replaced cart in the expression and it was eventually shortened to 'on the wagon.'"

1 comment:

Debbie said...

Yes, I'm with you. Interesting post!

Also, I love your new comedy site! I can completely relate to the newest bit -- girls are always saying "she's like a sister to me" after they've shared an experience like, say, working in a group project at school or waiting in line together somewhere. If you didn't grow up in the same house OR have a shared biological parent ... you're not sisters! Get a new word!

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)