Monday, April 23, 2018

Calm Down, Roberts

I already posted about this LA Times article on Twitter and Instagram, but I'ma rant about it here too as it really rankles my cankles™.



I've been listening to rap for a long time. Maybe not ever since honeys was wearin' Sassoon, but at least since Cube messed around and got a triple double. My point is that I am familiar with the genre. I've also read a buttload of classic literature. I'm not sure how many books, since I was too busy reading to learn math. Let's just say I've read somewhere between 1 and 5,000,000,000 books.

I have read a couple of Faulkner's novels and they were amazing. I have listened to a few of Kendrick Lamar's songs and they were okay. What in the actual frick is this Rand Rob dude talking about? There are so many African-American artists he could have compared to Faulkner, but Randy Robby chose the "Halle Berry, hallelujah. Holla back, I'll do ya" guy? WTF?

EXTRA BONUS SECTION!!!

I have included two quotes below, one from Faulkner and one from Lamar. See if you can tell which one is which!

“Never be afraid to raise your voice for honesty and truth and compassion against injustice and lying and greed. If people all over the world . . . would do this, it would change the earth.”

"She eyeing me like a n*gga don't exist. Girl, I know you want this dick!"

No comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)