Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Problems

I have a problem with people using the phrase "we're like family" to describe anyone who is not in their actual family. I understand that some people were adopted or raised by people that are not blood relatives. What I don't understand is when people use this phrase to describe anyone who has been in their immediate vicinity for more than 20 minutes. Example: "Everyone in my Learning Annex class is so cool. We're like one big family." Whenever I hear something like this I want to say, "Great! Who's hosting Thanksgiving dinner this year?"

I also have a problem with people that walk around telling everyone how "blessed" they are. People say this about everything and it's getting out of hand. Example: "I never get sick. What can I say, I guess I'm just blessed." I think that suggesting that God chose you to bless more than other people is kind of a dick move.

My final problem (not in life, just for the purposes of this bit) is with what I have termed "extreme complementing." I blame reality TV show judges for starting this epidemic, which has now leaked into mainstream culture. Example: "You are amazing, wonderful, incredible, and one thousand and one percent insanely awesome!" You know another way to complement someone? By using any one of the terms listed above.*

*Except for the "thousand and one percent" thing - that doesn't make any damn sense at all.

No comments:

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)