Friday, September 03, 2010

Shadiest barista ever

If you've been keeping up with this blog, you know that I have a love-hate relationship with Starbucks.  I was reminded of this today when I went to the Starbucks by my house and ordered a medium-sized cup of Pike Place Roast (yes, I know that at Starbucks a medium is called "grande" but I'm simplifying for the purposes of this post and, honestly, typing words like "vinte" make me feel like an idiotic snob).

Anyway, after taking my payment the barista turned and proceeded to fill my cup with Anniversary Blend. I repeated that I wanted Pike Place Roast and he confirmed that he was giving me just that. I then pointed out that I saw him pour me a cup out of Anniversary Blend. He then conceded and said that the Pike Place was empty and that I would have to wait a few minutes for them to brew a new batch.  At this point I realized that this shady-ass barista was trying to trick me into taking the wrong type of coffee because it was easier for him to do this rather than brew more. 

I would like to stop here and point out that even though I may sound like a diva/asshole I was actually being really courteous to the guy (saying things like, "Oh, it's my fault.  I guess the labels on the coffee machines must be mixed up.").  I wasn't trying to be rude to him, I just wanted to get the coffee I asked for.

Anyway, back to the story.  I told him that it was no problem for me to wait and then asked if I would be getting my coffee for free (again, not because I'm an asshole, but because their company policy is to give you a free drink whenever you have to wait for it to brew).  He thought about it for a second and then agreed.  He said something like, "Sure, I got you man.  Don't worry about it, it's on us."  He then started to wait on the next customer.  The problem with this is that I had already paid for the coffee.

So basically, the barista tried to trick me twice.  First, he tried to give me the wrong coffee (and lied to me about it).  Second, he tried to give me a "free" drink that I already paid for.  Eventually I got a free coffee out of the deal and a (hopefully) amusing story, but I have to say that I have never seen such a shady-ass barista in my life.



P.S. I know this photo is kind of out of place but I thought it was nice.

1 comment:

caffeine fiend said...

Sorry that was me.... I had a simlar experience , they screwed up my order,, I wanted an "Upside-down nonfat CARAMEL Mocchiato , 3 shots , extra hot, extra whip, two Splendas....
They gave it to me right side up so I went to Ace Hardware and purchased one red brick.

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)